Finals Can be excruciating for any student, but add a student with anxiety or any other mental illness to the mix, and it can be a total nightmare. Relax, count to 10, and keep on reading.
You do well in class, you ace all your homework, but bomb all your tests. It seems like it’s a losing battle. I have known that I have had anxiety for as long as I can remember, but I didn’t realize I had test anxiety until I was out of college. (Great time to realize that, huh?) I paid attention in class, always did well on my homework and studied several hours for an exam. A few hours before the test, I would start worrying. What if I studied the wrong things? What if I forget everything? What if totally bomb the test? All of these “what ifs” will make any person a nervous wreck. Once it was test time, I already knew I’d be lucky if I got a D.
For all of you anxiety sufferers that are getting ready for finals, here are some tips to try before your next exam.
1. When studying, make sure to take breaks often, to relax your mind.
2. Don’t overthink! You know this stuff so don’t second-guess yourself.
3. When you are prepared for your exam, exercise in some positive talk. Make it fun–anytime you think “what if”, or participate in negative self talk, you have to do 10 pushups!
4. Practice relaxation exercises often, up until you take your exam.
5. You are stronger than you think! You got this!!!
Don’t know how to relax? Click on the link below. These are excellent breathing exercises that I use often. Remember, you can do this…good luck!